2 months ago
POLITICS & the MEDIA:
From Nic Chen: On Monday July 9th, President Trump announced Judge Brett Kavanaugh as his nominee to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy on the U.S. Supreme Court. If Judge Brett Kavanaugh is confirmed to the U.S. Supreme Court, it could take generations to undo the damage to our voting protections, civil rights, access to healthcare, environmental protections, consumer rights, women’s reproductive rights, and immigration rights…just to name a few! Let’s send a CLEAR, COLLECTIVE, and CONSISTENT message that we will NOT allow our hard-earned gains to be destroyed!
Here are just a few of his documented opinions:
• In 2000, Kavanaugh was on the legal team that helped stop the Florida recount and secure the Bush presidency.
• In 2009, Kavanaugh argued in a law review article that a sitting president should not be subject to civil lawsuits, criminal investigations, questions from a prosecutor or defense attorney, or be criminally indicted no matter what evidence of wrongdoing is uncovered. This could have serious implications for the current Mueller investigation.
• In 2011, Kavanaugh wrote a dissenting opinion in a case in which others on his appellate court upheld the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act. Kavanaugh argued that a president could decline to enforce a statute such as Obamacare even if a court upholds its constitutionality.
• In 2012, Kavanaugh wrote a majority opinion for the D.C. Circuit Court striking down an Obama-era program to regulate air pollution that cross state boundaries. The Supreme Court later took up the case and overruled him 6-2.
• In 2016, Kavanaugh wrote a 110-page opinion arguing that the structure of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau—a financial regulatory entity that returned nearly $12 billion to 29 million customers from 2011 to 2017—is unconstitutional.
WOMEN’S REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS
• In 2017, Kavanaugh wrote a dissenting opinion concerning whether a pregnant 17-year-old being held by immigration authorities was allowed to leave their custody to obtain an abortion. The court ruled in agreement with a Texas judge that the teenager was legally entitled to an abortion.
As mentioned on the call, the immediate next step is to flood your US Senators’ office with phone calls urging them to delay the confirmation for Brett Kavanaugh until after the 2018 November election and the 116thCongress has been sworn in.
OUR time to act is NOW!
CALL YOUR SENATORS at 202-224-3121! ... See MoreSee Less
Ready For Better shared BrightVibes's 90 years of life experience in less than 2 minutes..
3 months ago
There is much to ponder in these sayings about life . 😊. I would add one from a wall hanging from the Namaste’ shop on State St in Santa Barbara:
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
25 incredibly inspiring life lessons we <3 from a 90-year-old lady, in less than 2 minutes.
Leave a #comment which advice should be added and which is your #favourite
Find out more bit.ly/90YearsIn120seconds
Another #brightvibes #original ... See MoreSee Less